Saturday 13 December 2008

After All That Bragging, It's Dang Cold Here




When I did my research on the weather in Malaga, I read that the coldest month is January when temperatures reach about 12° C and that they receive about 20 days of rainfall per year.  So, I packed accordingly.  Lucky me, Malaga has found itself in a winter unlike those before it, and likely, those after it.  Temperatures have been closer to 5-10° C and we have seen a lot of rain. Rain here isn’t like Oregon rain. It rains here in torrents, complete with gigantic raindrops and with relentless persistence.  Needless to say, I do not have the attire for this kind of weather, and dressing myself has lent itself to its own art form or trying to look cute and still keep warm.  Tricky!

Probably the most momentous occasion since my last posting was the election.  I woke up the morning after election-day to my housemate Cody giving me a high five on my way to the shower as pre-celebration over the win.  I took the first part of all of my classes to talk about Obama’s win and the reasons why it was so important.  Brooke called me during one of my classes to hear my excitement and for me to hear hers.  When I got home that day I felt more homesick than I have since I’ve been here.  I got on the internet and started searching for news coverage of the event.  Videos of groups of people celebrating from all over America had me in tears.  Watching the acceptance speech was much more emotional than I anticipated and was more than thankful to have my good friend from Finland, Annalina, sit by my side and hand me tissues.  Well, Obama, the world is looking to you.  Quite the task you have ahead!  The photo is from an article in the newspaper that collaged all the front page papers from all over the world.  I enjoyed 4 days of newspapers filled with news of the election and felt proud of my country!

Because of the weather life has been pretty mellow, the cold and rain keeps most people from going out and being terribly active.  I am going to Grenada this coming weekend with my friend from France, Eloise.  I’m really looking forward to getting out of Malaga and seeing a different city.  Malaga has its beauty, but its not as apparent as what I expect to find in a city like Grenada.  I will be posting and writing a blog for that experience in the new future.

In other news… I have a wonderful new boyfriend!  His name is Cillian (kill-ian) and he’s from Ireland.  Not exactly the best choice of nationality for learning Spanish, I know, but we can’t pick who we like can we?  Our natures are very similar, we’re both very laid back, straightforward people which makes the relationship very easy and a lot of fun.  Brooke and Emily will be here on the 19th of December and I can’t wait!  They will be here for two weeks and we have tentative plans to go to Morocco and perhaps another city in Spain.

That’s all for now! I hope everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving and if you don’t hear from me before Christmas, have a lovely Christmas holiday as well!  I do have a phone here, and you can buy an International Calling Card for really cheap if you feel like giving me a holler, I would love love love to hear your voices!  +34  662498074

No comments: